Coming to college can be hard in many ways. However, leaving your significant other for the college life can be one of the hardest. My fiancé is in the military and overseas, so I have become the expert on how to handle flying solo at school. Just follow these steps to make it a little less difficult.
- FaceTime every day. Seeing and hearing your loved one will help you cope with the stress of classes and the craziness of college life. Make sure you plan special movie nights where you FaceTime and watch a movie on Netflix at the same time. This will ease the awkwardness that silence over FaceTime has that being face to face does not. Either make sure it is a movie both of you like, or take turns showing each other your faves.
- Surround yourself with a support system at school. Hanging up with my fiancé is the hardest. Luckily, I have the best friends ever, and they distract me from the feeling lonely blues.
- Plan those trips to see one another. I have the best time planning everything we are going to do when my SO comes home. All the restaurants we’re going to go to and movies we’re going to see. All the time we will be able to spend together. It makes you look forward to something together, and as time goes on, you know that there will be an end to being apart.
- Plan for the future. My fiancé and I are currently planning our wedding, and the thought of having something big coming up helps us through all the hard times. It doesn’t just have to be something like that. Plan a vacation together or talk about what you want out of the future. It will give you something to talk about when nothing really exciting happened during your day.
- Never give up. No matter how hard it gets, know that you are not the only one going through this. It is important to never give up because your SO is counting on you. Know that after all this rain, there is a rainbow.